The Insight Improv Book
A full-length book, Insight Improvisation: Melding Meditation, Theater, and Therapy for Self-Exploration, Healing, and Empowerment, is currently in the process of being revised for publication. During this time, the original versions of each chapter (written between 2013 and 2016) are available to download, as is a PDF combining those chapters into a single document.
Part I: Laying the Foundation — Meditation in ActionMeditation Active Meditation Authentic Movement Shared Vipassana Further Exploration with Meditation
Part II: Playing — Theater and Improvisation as MeditationNaked Improvisation Amplification The Three States Working with Text Storytelling Role Stream and Scene Stream Singing Further Exploration with Improvisation
Part III: Exploring — Drama Therapy as MeditationWhat is Psolodrama? Foundations of Psolodrama Warming Up to Psolodrama The Entryway to Psolodrama The Practice of Psolodrama Psolodrama Examples Troubleshooting Psolodrama Witnessing Psolodrama The Psolodrama Sharing Process Coaching Psolodrama Psolodrama Alone Further Exploration with Psolodrama
Part IV: Working — Insight Improv with Individuals and GroupsWorking with Individuals Facilitating Workshops Further Exploration with Insight Improvisation
Chapters in Other Books
Insight Improvisation has been described in other books on creative arts therapy, theater, and mindfulness:
- Schuchner, G. (2016), Meditation and dramatherapy. In S. Jennings and C. Holmwood (Eds.), Routledge international handbook of dramatherapy. London: Routledge.
- Jung, S. (2014), Healing meditation and expressive arts. In I let myself heal [Naega naleul nasge handa]. Seoul, Korea: Shi Gong Sa.
- Gluck, J. (2013), Insight Improvisation in Thailand: Drama therapy meets vipassana meditation. In S. B. Linden (Ed.), The heart and soul of psychotherapy: A transpersonal approach through theater arts. Bloomington, IN: Trafford.
- Gluck, J. (2012), Mindfulness and drama therapy: Insight Improvisation and the transformation of anger. In L. Rappaport (Ed.), Mindfulness and the arts therapies. London: Jessica Kingsley.
- Gluck, J. (2007), Insight Improvisation: Integrating meditation, theater, and drama therapy. In A. Blatner and D. J. Wiener (Eds.), Interactive and improvisational drama. Lincoln, NE: iUniverse.
- Webb, T. (2017). Drama therapy as peer practice: 12 years of sharing and witnessing psolodrama. Manuscript in preparation.
- Jung, S. (2017). Individuals’ experiences of Insight Improvisation in Korea: Self-discovery, challenges, and breakthroughs. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Gluck, J. (2006, Spring). Psolodrama: Authentic movement meets psychodrama. A Moving Journal.
The original, full-length version of this article is available here (small edits were made prior to publication due to space considerations).
- Gluck, J. (2005, Winter). Insight Improvisation: Psolodrama. Dramascope.
- Psolodrama in Brief—Handout summarizing the practice of psolodrama.